Battling for tenders can be a survival-of-the-fittest situation…and by fittest, we mean most persuasive.
Tip #3: Persuasion
When we say persuasion we don’t mean hyped-up sales documents full of jargon and self-flattery. We mean creating a compelling narrative that:
- Establishes that you completely understand the client and what matters most to them;
- Demonstrates you are perfectly suited for the job and ideally matched to the client and their needs;
- Inspires and connects with the client at a deeper level.
Put yourself in the shoes of the client. What keeps them awake at night? What inspires and excites them? And, with this at the forefront of your mind, ask yourself why you are suited, ahead of the competition, to do that job in that way for that client.
Ultimately, the tendering process is about matching problem-solvers (you) with people who have problems (your clients). So, your job when writing a persuasive bid is to clearly demonstrate that you best understand the client’s problem and have the best solution for that problem.
Tendering survival challenge:
Think of a significant product or service you've purchased recently and answer the below questions:
- What got you over the line and made you decide to purchase the product or service from that particular supplier?
- What sort of language did their marketing material use to persuade you that theirs was the best solution to your problem?
- How did they empathise with your pain points or aspirations?
With the right perspective and the right techniques you can write more persuasively.
Want to become a bid master?
Master the tender writing process and improve your win rate by attending a tender response workshop!
Want more tips like this?
Our Tendering Survival Guide provides a clear strategy to help you out-perform your competition.